In this recipe we will be cooking raw shrimp with citrus. We used shrimp we needed to peel but you can use already peeled shrimp. It just must be raw.
You will want to allow a minimum of 30 minutes to let the shrimp sit before serving.
- 1/2 lbs of raw devained shrimp
- 1 cup of sliced red onion (about 1/2 of an onion)
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes (we used romane)
- 2 diced avocados
- 1 diced jalapeno
- 3/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 cup of diced cucumbers (about 1/2 cucumber)
- 1/2 cup lime juice (about 2 large lime or 3 smaller ones)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1/2 of a large lemon)
- 1/3 cup orange juice (3/4 large orange)
- Corn or flour taco sized tortilla shells.
Preparing the Ceviche
- Peel Shrimp if required
- In a large bowl add; tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, jalapeno, and cilantro.
- Juice your citrus.
- Add shrimp to the veggies with the citrus.
- Salt and pepper to tastes
- Mix thoroughly, to ensure everything is covered in the citrus juice.
- This needs to be stored in glass, citrus will cook the shrimp. (Citrus will eat plastic)
- Leave sit for a minimum of 30 minutes up to 8 hours.
- Dice Avocado and smash it into a paste, set aside. (If storing this then add a bit of citrus to keep it from going brown.)
Making the Tacos
- When you are ready to make the tacos, take the tortilla shells in a skillet or griddle and toast them slightly on each side.
- Plate the shells and smear some of the avocado paste in the middle.
- Top with the ceviche
- Serve and enjoy!!