We always have left over ham for the week after Christmas. But what do you do with all of it? It may not be my healthiest week eating left overs but this year we made Cuban sandwiches for lunch. They were delish!
I did not really measure anything for this, as I just made them to desired amount.
- Precooked Ham
- Swiss Cheese, sliced
- Pickles, sliced
- Dijon Mustard
- Sandwich Buns
- 1 tbsp butter
- First, slice up ham to desired sandwich sized slices.
- Turn on stove to just under medium, assuming your ham is precooked. We are just reheating.
- In a skillet or griddle, spread about 1 tbsp of butter to grease the pan.
- Put the buns face down and cook until toasted.
- Flip and toast the other side.
- This step is optional, but we like to flatten our buns with the spatula to make the bread thin and crispy.
- Once both sides are toasted then remove the bread and wipe the crumbs off of the griddle or skillet
- Place back on the stove and add ham
- While this is cooking prepare your bread, add sliced pickles to the bottom slice and spread Dijon Mustard to the top slices.
- Once the ham is heated separate into sandwich sized piles.
- Top with cheese, we used two slices of swiss on each sandwich
- Cover with foil, do not allow the foil to touch the cheese. Heat until cheese is melted.
- Scoop up the ham and cheese and place over top of the pickles.
We served this with a simple a dill cucumber salad.